In Burgundy, in the midst of a historic town, an 18th century, middle-class home - ref 158667
Einfamilienhaus kaufen in Auxerre
Auf Karte anzeigen
In Burgundy, in the midst of a historic town, an 18th century, middle-class home.
A residence in the midst of a renowned historic, tourist town, near to all daily amenities and just 15 minutes walk from an SNCF train station with 1½-hour links to Paris-Bercy.
The town is well-known for its historic architectural heritage dating back to the Middle-Ages and to the Renaissance period. Classified as a French town of Art and History since 1995, it has 35 listed or classified historic monuments and three national museums.
The town is also famous for its AOC Chablis vines growing just a few kilometres from the town.
A shopping street stands out from amongst the paved, narrow streets, characteristic of the town, with their many half-timbered houses. This house is to be found there, surrounded by works of architecture with some houses featuring corner pillars adorned with sculptures from the early Middle-Ages or Renaissance period and, above all, the entrance gate of the old abbey (1530-1540), heavily inspired by that of Castelnuovo in Naples. Two characters, Ceres and Noah, are represented here.
The facade of the house and its main entrance open on to an old street that used to cross the vine-growers district. A second, side entrance, on Place-Saint-Pierre, features a wooden porchway. The rear of the house comprises a garden, with several stone benches and an arcade featuring a central Maltese cross, added by one of its former owners. A small outbuilding attracts attention courtesy of its green colour. This was no doubt a vinée or fermenting room which opened on to an alleyway. An old vine-growers cellar runs alongside the house. A spectacular view of Saint-Pierres church which was financed in bygone times by the vine-growers. This beautiful church features gothic architecture, with a 16th century tower and a 17th century facade, reflecting the Renaissance period. The two statues of Saint-Vincent and Saint-Cartaud, patrons of the districts two main vocations: vine-grower and butcher, can be seen from the house.
The main houseThis house has been lived in since 1736. It was occupied in the 19th century by Doctor Dionis-des-Carrières a well-known celebrity, who was a member of the French department of Yonnes most eminent Historical and Natural Science Society. He discovered the origin of typhoid fever amongst other things.
The architecture is quite sober. The house has a large lower section with several basement windows. The ground floor is, therefore, slightly raised. The double openings are accompanied by solid shutters. The main entrance is composed of double wooden doors, enhanced with a glass fanlight. Two small stone steps precede the threshold. The first-floor windows are fitted with wrought iron railings and slatted shutters. The different architecture on the garden side indicates the buildings various construction stages. The windows are extremely varied. Some have a fixed upright and a fixed cross bar with moulded architraves, whilst others resemble those on the road side facade. Double doors, much plainer than those of the main entrance, open into the house.
The main entrance opens into a corridor decorated with floor tiles, depicting cubes, from the 1930s era and wall panelling. A study has a central, open-hearth fireplace and strip pattern parquet flooring. Double moulded doors open into a small ladies sitting room with a wash-hand basin. This room is panelled. It precedes a
Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 9, Anzahl der Badezimmer: 2, Bundesland: Bourgogne